House Democrats are introducing a comprehensive reauthorization of the Higher Education Act – the Aim Higher Act – which ensures every student has a path to a debt-free degree or credential that leads to a rewarding career. The Aim Higher Act invests in students. It makes higher education more affordable today and addresses the rising cost of college to reduce the burden on students in the future.
The Aim Higher Act:
- Makes college more affordable today – by investing in federal student aid – and helps states make public college tuition more affordable in the future – by incentivizing states to reinvest in higher education,
- Cracks down on predatory for-profit institutions that target students and veterans with expensive, low-quality programs,
- Protects and expands the Public Service Loan Forgiveness program, which is eliminated under the GOP PROSPER Act, and makes student loans simpler and easier to repay,
- Provides students the tools they need to graduate on time with a quality degree,
- Invests in teachers and strengthens training for teachers and school leaders to improve the quality of our schools.