Committee Democrats Unveil Vision for Higher Education
Bill reflects Democrats’ commitment to investing in education and making a quality degree more affordable and accessible for all students
WASHINGTON – Today, all 17 Committee on Education and the Workforce Democrats are unveiling the Aim Higher Act – a comprehensive reauthorization of the Higher Education Act that reflects Democrats’ vision for an accessible, affordable higher education system. The bill provides every student an opportunity to earn a debt-free degree that leads to a rewarding career.
“The Aim Higher Act is a serious and comprehensive proposal to give every student the opportunity to earn a debt-free degree or credential,” said Congressman Bobby Scott (VA-03), Committee on Education and the Workforce. “It provides immediate and long-term relief to students and parents struggling with the cost of college, it puts a greater focus on helping students graduate on time with a quality degree that leads to a rewarding career, and it cracks down on predatory for-profit colleges that peddle expensive, low-quality degrees at the expense of students and taxpayers.
“In addition, the bill modernizes student financial aid to ensure that students have access to the full range of quality four-year and two-year degrees as well as short-term credentials that give students an accelerated path to the workforce. This bill is in stark contrast to the Republican alternative, the PROSPER Act, which cuts $15 billion from federal student aid. This bill reflects Democrats’ commitment to investing in education and making college more affordable and accessible for all students.”
“As the Ranking Member of the House Subcommittee on Higher Education and Workforce Development, I am proud to support this exciting vision for debt-free higher education in our country,” said Ranking Member Susan Davis (CA-53), Subcommittee on Higher Education and Workforce Development. “Every student in America, regardless of their race, gender, or income, deserves access to a quality education that will result in a fulfilling career. I am excited to say that this bill, which incorporates other legislation I have introduced, moves to fulfill that promise.
The Aim Higher Act:
- Makes college more affordable today – by investing in federal student aid – and helps states make public college tuition more affordable in the future – by incentivizing states to reinvest in higher education,
- Cracks down on predatory for-profit institutions that target students and veterans with expensive, low-quality programs,
- Protects and expands the Public Service Loan Forgiveness program, which is eliminated in the GOP PROSPER Act, and makes student loans simpler and easier to repay,
- Provides students the tools they need to graduate on time with a quality degree, and
- Invests in teachers and strengthens training for teachers and school leaders to improve the quality of our schools.
To read a summary of the Aim Higher Act, click here.
To read a fact sheet on Aim Higher Act, click here.
Democratic Press Office, 202-226-0853
Next Article Previous Article